Universal Credit

Are you ready?

Countdown to Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit payment, which replaces six working age benefits with a single monthly payment. The six benefits being replaced are:

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Income Support (IS)
  • Child Tax Credits (CTC)
  • Working Tax Credits (WTC)
  • Housing Benefit (HB)

From Wednesday 11 July, anyone making a new claim for one or more of these six benefits will be claiming Universal Credit.

For people who are already claiming these benefits, Universal Credit is being introduced in stages across the UK. If this applies to you, you don’t need to do anything until you hear from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) about moving to Universal Credit, unless you have a change in circumstances.

The payment of Universal Credit is calculated and paid monthly, it is designed to be like a monthly wage, being paid in one lump sum. This payment includes the housing element which replaces housing benefit and you will be responsible to use this to pay your rent.

Any other benefits you are entitled to will continue as normal. Universal Credit does not include assistance with your Council Tax. If you are claiming Universal Credit you will still have to contact Rotherham Council to apply for Council Tax Support.

To find out more about Universal Credit and how it will affect you visit the government website

Visit Gov.uk

What if I can't get online?

You may be able to access a computer at a local library or Job Centre. If you need help completing your claim you can contact the Council or your local Job Centre.

Help to get online

If you need support from the Council you can call us:

Telephone: 01709 336009

Housing benefit for council housing association tenants

Personal Independence Payment

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?