A guide to home education
- A guide to home education (You are here)
- The legal position on home education
- Making sure your child receives an education
- Taking your child out of school
- Home education and special educational needs
- Working with the Council
- Ceasing home education for your child
- Home education support
Education is compulsory for children of school age. It is your responsibility as parent or carer to make sure that your child has a suitable full-time education. You can send your child to school, but you are legally entitled to educate them at home. This is known as Elective Home Education or ‘home schooling’.
If you decide to educate your child at home, you have freedom to decide how best to do this. You do not need to have any teaching experience or qualifications or teach the National Curriculum, have a set timetable or copy the school environment or procedures.
The Home Education Team will be pleased to offer you any help or advice to make sure your child receives the best possible education at home.