A guide to Elective Home Education (EHE)
- A guide to Elective Home Education (EHE)
- The legal position on Elective Home Education
- Making sure your child receives an education
- Taking your child out of school
- Home education and special educational needs (You are here)
- Working with the Council
- Ceasing Elective Home Education for your child
- Elective Home Education support
Home education and special educational needs
You can still choose home education for your child even if they have a statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP).
The Council will still carry out regular - every year, as a minimum - reviews for any child with a statement of special educational needs or EHCP, however they are educated.
If you have taken your child out of a mainstream school to start home educating them, the school will tell our Home Education and Special Educational Needs Teams about this.
If your child attends a special school and you want to start home education, you need to discuss this with the school. The law about home education is different where a child with a statement of special educational needs, or an EHCP attends a special school, so please contact the Home Education or the Special Educational Needs Team to discuss your plans.