Meet the Commissioners
- Lead Commissioner Mary Ney
- Commissioner Patricia Bradwell
- Commissioner Julie A Kenny CBE DL (You are here)
Commissioner Julie A Kenny CBE DL
Commissioner Kenny is one of two Supporting Commissioners.
She leads on waste management and asset management.
Commissioner Kenny will also be overseeing the council’s relationships with partners, and the voluntary and community sector, growing the local economy, ensuring the council is working with others to improve jobs and housing opportunities.
Each Commissioner has produced their own protocol. This sets out how the Commissioner will work with elected members and Council staff to take decisions. Together, the Commissioners are working to deliver the Commissioners’ Mission for Rotherham.
Commissioner Kenny founded Rotherham-based manufacturing company, Pyronix Limited in1986, which she sold in May 2016. Other roles include:
- Chair/Commissioner at the UK Commission for Employment and Skills, which ceased trading on 31.03.2017 and is currently in closure process for Government
- Board Member of Sheffield City Region Local Enterprise Partnership (from 2013)
- Resident Entrepreneur at Connect Gazelles (from 2011)
- Chairman of the Maltby Learning Trust (from 2010)
- Board Member of Sheffield Theatres
- Non-Executive Director, Robson Handling Technologies Limited
In recognition of her contribution to the area’s business and industry, Commissioner Kenny was awarded a CBE in 2002 and an Honorary Doctorate from Sheffield Hallam University in 2006. She served as High Sheriff of South Yorkshire from 2012-2013 and won the Engineering and Manufacturing award at the First Women Awards 2012; was the Vitalise Businesswoman of the Year in 2013; and the Private Business Woman in 2014.