Recovery and Restoration
Further powers recommended for return
A series of recommendations by Commissioners, following continued improvement by Rotherham Council, to the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government has seen the return some functions to Elected Members. These are:
- Education and schools; education for 14-19 years in all settings; school admissions and appeal system; youth services
- Public Health
- Leisure services; events in parks and green spaces
- Customer and cultural services, libraries, arts, customer services and welfare programmes
- Planning and transportation policy; highways maintenance
- The Council's area assembly system and neighbourhood working; responsibilities under the Equalities Act
- Building regulation, drainage, car parking, business regulation and enforcement (not including licensing), emergency planning
- Financial services, including revenues and benefits (not including audit); ICT; legal and democratic services; corporate communications; corporate policy; procurement
- Budget control in these areas, and budget planning
- Policy arising from Sheffield City Region
For all the above functions, Cabinet is now responsible for leadership, standard-setting, decision-making and quality monitoring and is accountable to the public and to scrutiny Councillors.
Commissioners are now proposing that the following functions are returned:
- Economic growth
- Town centre
- External partnerships
- Community safety
- Adult social care and the Council's partnership with the NHS
- Performance management
- Waste collection
- Grounds maintenance
The Executive responsibilities to be retained by Commissioners are as follows:
- Children's safeguarding and all other children's social care services
- Asset management
- Human resources
These have been assessed by Commissioner as not yet ready for return to the Council.
Full details on Commissioners' progress reviews are available.
The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government has not yet made a decision on whether he is minded to return further functions, and will take into account any views local people wish to give. Therefore, please send any comments you wish to make to no later than 31st December 2016.
Or call: 01709 255100 for further information.