- Commissioner's bulletin 31 March 2017
- Commissioner's bulletin 18 November 2016
- Commissioner's bulletin 3 June 2016
- Commissioner's bulletin 31 March 2016
- Commissioner's bulletin 2 March 2016
- Commissioner's bulletin January 2016
- Commissioner's bulletin December 2015
- Commissioner's bulletin October 2015
- Commissioner's bulletin September 2015
- Commissioner's bulletin July 2015
- Commissioner's bulletin June 2015
- Commissioner's bulletin May 2015 (You are here)
Commissioner's bulletin May 2015
Commissioners’ Decision Making and Revised Licensing Policy
Commissioners’ decision-making procedures are now operational and can be found here:
These procedures have been put in place to cover the exercise of Executive and Licensing powers by the Commissioners.
Commissioner Mary Ney, who is responsible for licensing decisions, has already used the new procedures to consider 19 applications or renewals of licenses and agreed only three. In addition, seven licenses have been revoked. A more robust Licensing Policy is now subject to consultation until the end of May.
Later this week, Commissioner Stella Manzie will be sending out the Council’s Improvement Plan to elected members in advance of Full Council on 22nd May. As part of its intervention, the Department for Communities and Local Government requires the council to submit the plan by the end of the month. Commissioner Manzie will also be publishing a report on organisational restructure shortly.
Second Commissioners’ Team Meeting
On 1st May, Commissioners held a second team meeting, which as well as discussing the new decision-making procedure and the Improvement Plan, we also covered:
- Rotherham business sector event in June, which Commissioner Julie Kenny is organising and is for larger businesses in the borough
- ‘Snapshot of Rotherham’ roadshows which are now finalised and where Commissioners, Leader and partners will meet with invited attendees from a range of communities, groups and organisations. These will begin on 28th May and run for 10 weeks. Further details, including dates for staff and elected members’ sessions, will be out shortly
- Discussions on medium-term financial planning; keeping in contact with elected members; Commissioners’ Office risk register, and reporting arrangements to the Department for Communities and Local Government.
Commissioners will be updated on the Child Sexual Exploitation strategy development and driving improvement in Children’s Services at their meeting in June.
At last week’s Council elections, 22 seats were contested – one in each of 21 wards, plus an additional seat in the Boston Castle ward, following the resignation of one of the sitting councillors.
Six sitting candidates were returned and 16 new councillors were elected. Commissioners met the new councillors at the Members’ Induction Programme to explain our roles and answer questions. The make-up of the council is now 48 Labour, 12 UKIP, one Conservative and two Independents. Nationally, Labour MPs for Rotherham, Wentworth and Dearne and Rother Valley retained their seats in the general election.
I would like to formally welcome Graeme Betts, who recently joined the Council as Interim Director of Adult Services and will be making some initial assessments of the Adult Social Care service. Next month Terri Roche will be joining us from Lincolnshire County Council as interim Director of Public Health.
If you have anything you wish to raise or comment, please contact our office.