To enable the refresh we need to carry out some maintenance, there will be a period of downtime from 11.00am March 11, when you will not be able to access the site, this should be less than 1 hour
What can you do?
Make a Difference - Reducing Our Environmental Impact
We can all make small changes to our daily routines that will have a positive impact in the world around us. These little changes will often be good for the environment and good for your bank balance.
Energy bills aren't getting any cheaper but in the average home there are plenty of opportunities to save energy and save money. Our top five tips for energy saving are:
- Turning your thermostat down by 1°C could cut your heating bills by up to 10 percent.
- Don't leave appliances on standby and remember to unplug laptops, mobile phone chargers and extension leads if they aren't required.
- Always switch off the lights when you leave the room.
- Check your water isn't too hot, it should be set at 60°C/140°F.
- When replacing your current appliances look for those with a high energy efficiency rating. They may cost more intitially but will save you money every day after.
For those seeking to make improvements to your property, from October 2012 you may be able to take advantage of the UK Government's Green Deal to make your home more efficient.
Further information on saving energy in the home is available from the Energy Saving Trust.
For a more general greener living information visit www.direct.gov.uk for advice on travel, food, shopping and more.
Calculate your carbon footprint
The internet is full of excellent tools to help you understand just how much our every day lives contribute to climate change. The food we eat, how we travel and our daily choices do have an impact. Carbon and ecological footprint calculators are available from WWF, The Guardian and the Act On CO2 campaign. How high is your carbon footprint? You may be surprised.
Environmental improvement suggestions
Members of the public and staff often have constructive ideas about how we can reduce our environmental impact. If you would like to make a constructive suggestion please email us. You don't need to give us your contact details and we are always happy to hear from you.
Last modification: 04/11/2013