School admissions and appeals
Applying for a place in a Secondary School for September 2014
This page contains information about applying for a place for your child in a secondary school in Rotherham.
If your child currently attends a primary or junior school and was born between 1 September 2002 and 31 August 2003, you must apply for a secondary school place for entry in the academic year beginning September 2014.
There is no automatic transfer between primary/junior schools and secondary schools.
Before you apply make sure you have read the Admission to Secondary School Booklet 2014/2015 so that you fully understand our admission process and criteria.
When and how should I apply?
- From 1 July 2013 you will be able to apply online for a place in Year 7 of a secondary school in September 2014. You can apply online until 16 October 2013. Please note that you should only apply via Rotherham Authority if you are a Rotherham resident
- You can also apply by completing the Common Application Form and returning it to the School Admissions Team by 2 December 2013
- If you are applying for a Church of England Aided Secondary School you also need to complete an Additional Information form
- It is the responsibility of parents/carers to apply for a school place and if your application is late, you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools
If you do not live in Rotherham you should contact your local Admissions Team for further advice.
All applications received up to and including 2 December 2013 will be included in the initial allocation process.
What will happen when I apply for a place?
- When you apply for a place in a Secondary School you will be asked to decide on up to three schools that you would like your child to go to
- You will be asked to name these schools in your order of preference
- The Admissions Authority will then determine whether or not your child is eligible for admission to each school. You can find more information about our admissions criteria in our Admission to Secondary School Booklet 2014/15
- If the governing body of a voluntary aided school is responsible for admissions, they will determine who is eligible for a place and inform the Admissions Authority. You can download the admissions policies for individual voluntary aided schools on our website
- Letters advising parents/carers of the outcome of their application will be posted on the national offer day of 3 March 2014
Last modified: 06/11/2013
Pages in School admissions and appeals
- School admissions and appeals
- Applying for a place in Reception or Foundation Stage 2 Class for September 2014
- You are here → Applying for a place in a Secondary School for September 2014
- Applying for a place in Year 7 of Secondary School or Foundation Stage 2 of a Primary School for September 2013
- Moving from an infant school to a junior school in September 2014
- Applying for a place in nursery or foundation stage 1
- Moving or transferring between schools
- Choosing a school
- School admissions appeals - What to do if you don't get a place in the school that you want
- Consultation on School Admissions and Co-ordinated Schemes for Primary and Secondary School Admissions
- Contact the School Admissions team