School admissions and appeals
Applying for a place in a secondary school for September 2013
This page contains information about applying for a place for your child in a secondary school in Rotherham.
If your child currently attends a primary or junior school and was born between 1 September 2001 and 31 August 2002, you must apply for a secondary school place for entry in the academic year beginning September 2013.
There is no automatic transfer between primary or junior schools and secondary schools.
Before you apply make sure you have read the Admission to Secondary School Booklet 2013/2014 so that you fully understand our admission process and criteria.
When should I apply?
- All applications received up to and including 30 November 2012 will be included in the initial allocation process. Any application received after this date will be considered as a late application.
- The option to apply on-line closed on 16 October 2012.
- It is the responsibility of parents/carers to apply for a school place and i f your application is late, you are far less likely to get a place at one of your preferred schools.
What will happen when I apply for a place?
- When you apply for a place in a secondary school you will be asked to decide on up to three schools that you would like your child to go to.
- You will be asked to rank these schools in order of preference.
- The Council will then determine whether or not your child is eligible for admission to each school. You can find more information about our admissions critieria in our Admission to Secondary School Booklet 2013/2014.
- If the governing body of a voluntary aided school is responsible for admissions, they will determine who is eligible for a place and inform the Council. The individual admissions polices for each school can be found in the Admission to Secondary School Booklet.
- Letters advising parents/carers of the outcome of their application will be posted on the national offer day of 1 March 2013.
How do I apply for a place?
You can apply for a place in a secondary school in Rotherham using any of the following ways. Please note that you must apply using one of these methods:
- You should only apply via the Council if you are a Rotherham resident. If you are currently living in another authority area please contact the local admissions team for where you live.
- You can apply by completing the Common Application Form and returning it to the school admissions team. You can also view our Notes to Help You Complete the Form for further guidance on completing the common application form.
- If you are applying for a Church of England Aided Secondary School you also need to complete an Additional Information form.
Last update: 28/03/2013
Pages in School admissions and appeals
- School admissions and appeals
- Applying for a place in reception or foundation stage 2 class for September 2013
- You are here → Applying for a place in a secondary school for September 2013
- Moving from an infant school to a junior school in September 2013
- Applying for a place in nursery or foundation stage 1
- Applications for Children currently in Year 7 or Foundation Stage 2
- Moving or transferring between schools
- Choosing a school
- School admissions appeals - What to do if you don't get a place in the school that you want
- Consultation on School Admissions and Co-ordinated Schemes for Primary and Secondary School Admissions
- Contact the School Admissions team