School admissions and appeals
Applying for a place in nursery or foundation stage 1
This page contains information about applying for a place in an early years centre, nursery unit or Foundation Stage 1 unit.
An application for a place in an early years centre, nursery unit or Foundation Stage 1 unit should be made to the head teacher responsible for the centre or unit.
You should be aware that gaining a place in the nursery class or Foundation Stage 1 class at a school or children's centre does not guarantee that a place will be available in that school in the reception class or Foundation Stage 2 class.
You can find a complete list of all the local authority nurseries and primary schools, along with for further information on how to apply for a Foundation Stage 1 place, in our Admission to Primary School Booklet.
A Foundation Stage 1 or nursery place is normally three terms attendance, commencing in the autumn term one year before entry to reception or Foundation Stage 2.
From September 2012 children are entitled to 15 hours of free early education and schools can deliver this flexibly over a minimum of three days.
A number of different delivery models are in place - details are available from the Families Information Service or directly from the school. Parents who wish to seek access to more flexible or increased provision should make contact with the head teacher of the school to discuss the possibilities.
Last update: 27/03/2013
Pages in School admissions and appeals
- School admissions and appeals
- Applying for a place in reception or foundation stage 2 class for September 2013
- Applying for a place in a secondary school for September 2013
- Moving from an infant school to a junior school in September 2013
- You are here → Applying for a place in nursery or foundation stage 1
- Applications for Children currently in Year 7 or Foundation Stage 2
- Moving or transferring between schools
- Choosing a school
- School admissions appeals - What to do if you don't get a place in the school that you want
- Consultation on School Admissions and Co-ordinated Schemes for Primary and Secondary School Admissions
- Contact the School Admissions team