A guide to fostering
- A guide to fostering
- Skills and qualities we look for
- Short term care
- Long term care
- Support care
- Remand care
- Short breaks
- Day fostering
- Mockingbird Family Model (You are here)
- Our priorities and achievements
Mockingbird Family Model
Some of our Rotherham fostering families are part of The Fostering Network’s Mockingbird Family Model. This is an extended family model that provides respite care, peer support, regular joint planning and training, and social activities.
The programme improves the stability of fostering placements and strengthens the relationships between carers, children and young people, fostering services and birth families.
Expected benefits to both carers and looked after children and young people include:
- Improved placement stability and reduction in placement breakdown.
- Stronger relationships that support looked after children, young people and fostering families.
- The provision of a robust and resilient structure, which offers support through times of crisis and transition.
- Improved respite care.
- Increased skills, confidence and role satisfaction for foster carers.
- Higher levels of foster carer retention and recruitment.
- Improved experience of peer support.
- Better experience of birth family contact, including siblings.
- Costs saved and costs avoided.
Rotherham launched its first Mockingbird constellation in May 2018 and plans to have at least four Mockingbird constellations established by the end of 2019.