A guide to benefit changes

  1. A guide to benefit changes
  2. Universal Credit (You are here)
  3. Grants and loans if you get certain benefits
  4. Housing Benefit for Council and housing association tenants
  5. Personal Independence Payment

Universal Credit

Universal Credit will be introduced in Rotherham from December 2015. This is a new benefit that combines some of the benefits you may already get.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will replace:

  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

At first, Universal Credit will only be available to single people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance. Jobcentre Plus will gradually transfer existing Jobseeker's Allowance claimants onto Universal Credit. New claimants will claim Universal Credit instead of Jobseeker's Allowance.

A similar approach will apply when Universal Credit is expanded to the other benefits. The agencies responsible for the benefits you claim should contact you before any transfer.

Universal Credit payments will include a housing element to help you pay your rent. This replaces Housing Benefit. It will be your responsibility to use this money to pay your rent.

Find out more about Universal Credit

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page