A guide to Housing Benefit
- A guide to Housing Benefit
- Types of accommodation eligible
- How much you will get
- How the amount you get is calculated (You are here)
- How housing benefit is paid
- Claim housing benefit
- Sharing information about your claim
How the amount you get is calculated
You are entitled to the maximum amount of benefit if you get:
- Income support
- Job Seekers Allowance (Income based)
- Income related Employment and Support Allowance or
- Pension Credit Guaranteed Credit
If you are not in receipt of any of these benefits, we will work out how much your family needs to live on based on pre-set government amounts, called your 'applicable amount'.
The amount of benefit you get will depend on how much your weekly income exceeds this amount and whether or not you have other non dependents living in your household.
Your benefit may also be reduced if you are subject to the governments benefit cap which restricts the amount of benefit you can receive to £500 for families and £350 for single people. You will be notified in writing if this affects you.