A guide to Housing Benefit

  1. A guide to Housing Benefit
  2. Types of accommodation eligible
  3. How much you will get
  4. How the amount you get is calculated
  5. How housing benefit is paid
  6. Claim housing benefit (You are here)
  7. Sharing information about your claim

Claim housing benefit

When you claim housing benefit, please provide proof of all your income and capital to support your claim.

Your award will normally start on the Monday following the date your application form is received by the Benefits Office, although there are exceptions.

If you pay Council Tax on your home you might also be entitled to Council Tax Reduction to help with this. You only need to complete one claim form. We will assess your entitlement to both benefits at the same time.

If you are of working age and live in the any of these postcodes, you cannot claim Housing Benefit unless you have three or more children or you live in specified or exempt accommodation:

S63 3** - S63 5** - S63 9** - S73 0** - S74 0** - S74 8** - S74 9** - DN12 2** - S63 6** - S63 7** - S63 0** - S64 5** - S64 ** - S65 9** - S81 8** - S80 3**

You should claim Universal Credit for help with your rent.

Apply for Universal Credit

If you need help to pay your Council Tax you should apply for Council Tax Reduction.

Get help to pay your Council Tax

Apply for Housing Benefit

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page