Careers in childcare
Early Years Practitioner
Working in day nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups and children's centres with children aged 0-5 years
There are a variety of roles available from full time, year round to part time term time.
The government legislation around the operation of early years settings is set out in the Early Years Foundation Stage Statutory Framework.
It states the provision must be led by a person qualified to a minimum of level 3 with at least 2 years experience. Supervisors will also hold a Level 3 qualification.
The setting is allowed to employ some staff at level 2 and 1 percent of unqualified staff though many prefer to maintain a qualified workforce.
There is a list of recognised qualifications, the current courses available in the Rotherham area include:
- Level 2 Diploma in Children and Young People's Workforce
- Level 3 Diploma in Children and Young People's Workforce
- BTEC Children's Care Learning and Development
- CACHE Diploma in Childcare and Education
- Foundation Degree in Early Years
- BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies or Early Years
- Early Years Professional Status
There are a range of part-time and full-time study options available.