Careers in childcare

  1. Early Years Practitioner
  2. Playwork Practitioner
  3. Childminding (You are here)


Working in your own home with children 0-14 years.

Childminders must be at least 18 years old and are required to complete the local authority approved training course and register with Ofsted.

All childminders and any persons aged over 16 that are living in the house are required to have an Enhanced CRB Disclosure.

Childminders run their own business and are responsible for ensuring they meet Ofsted regulations including safeguarding the children in their care, planning for a child's stage of development if the child is under 5 years and much more.

The childminder will need to have a flexible approach to working hours and will need to undergo regular training in such as Paediatric First Aid, Basic Child Protection etc.

More information on becoming a childminder is available by attending a briefing session, contact Families Information Service for details of the next session.

Call Families Information Service - 01709 822429

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page