See if you could pay less Council Tax
- See if you could pay less Council Tax
- Who is counted as an adult for Council Tax
- Discounts and exemptions for full time students (You are here)
- Second homes and empty properties
- Get help to pay
Discounts and exemptions for full time students
Households where everyone’s a full-time student don’t have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for a discount or exemption.
To count as a full-time student, your course must:
- Last at least one year
- Involve at least 21 hours study per week
If you’re under age 20 and studying for a qualification up to A-level, your course must:
- Last at least three months
- Involve at least 12 hours study per week
You will get a Council Tax bill if there’s an adult in your household who’s not a full-time student. Your household might still qualify for a discount in this case.