Having problems paying your Council Tax
- Having problems paying your Council Tax
- What happens if you don't pay your Council Tax
- If we have started court action against you (You are here)
- Attachments to your benefits
- Attachments to your earnings
- Using enforcement agents to recover unpaid Council Tax
- Committal to prison and bankruptcy
- Get help if you are struggling to pay
If we have started court action against you
You have a right to attend the court hearing.
At court, we will apply for a liability order. This gives us extra powers to collect the money you owe.
If the court grants a liability order,we can add a charge for this of £26 to what you already owe. This will bring the total costs to £74 (£48 for the summons, plus £26 for the liability order).
If we get a liability order we may write to you to confirm your financial position. If you don't provide this information, the magistrates' court can fine you up to £500.
You can provide this information now using the form below and make an offer to pay.