Get advice on drug and substance misuse
- Get advice on drug and substance misuse (You are here)
- Get local help for adults and young people
Substance misuse is when prescribed, legal or illegal drugs are used other than for their original intention by adults or young people. Examples of misuse are; Exceeding recommended limits, Not taking medicines as prescribed or taking illegal drugs.
The term ‘drugs’ refers to:
- Illegal Drugs (for example cocaine, amphetamine, ketamine or MCAT)
- Legal Drugs (for example caffeine, tobacco, alcohol and solvents)
- All ‘over the counter’ and prescription medicines (for example Paracetamol, cough medicine or antibiotics)
Although the term ‘legal highs’ is often used, the substances it refers to are often not legal and carry significant consequences. Less is known about the long term harms of these drugs.
More information on a specific drugs can be found on Talk to Frank website.