Get help for a fostered or adopted child
- Get help for a fostered or adopted child
- Support for children and young people
- Support for carers (You are here)
- Support for social workers and other professionals
- Help with anger and behavioural problems
- Help with attachment issues
- Make a referral or enquiry
Support for carers
While all children need loving and nurturing care, children in care often need more than that - they need ‘therapeutic parents’.
This is because children in care have often had bad things happen to them that make it hard to trust adults. They can feel angry and frightened and will take that out on the people closest to them.
The Looked After and Adopted Children Support and Therapeutic Team use a variety of approaches alongside individual support - including a ‘therapeutic parenting group’ - and work with you and your child together to help develop their attachment.
We can also arrange help from other organisations such as Children and Young People’s Mental Health Services and parenting programmes.