Licence a house in multiple occupation

If you rent out a large House in Multiple Occupation this must be licensed by the Council. A licence will only be approved if certain conditions are met.

Your property is considered to be a large house in multiple occupancy if the following apply:

  • It has at least five people from more than one 'household' living there (e.g. a family).
  • It has at least three floors.
  • It has shared facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen.

The total fee for a House in Multiple Occupancy licence is £808 - £177 is paid with the application form and the remaining £639 once your licence has been approved.

If you rent out a property without a licence, you can receive a heavy fine, a criminal record and have to repay up to 12 months rent to your tenants through the Rent Repayment Order.

Even if your property is smaller and rented to fewer people, you may still need a licence depending on the area you live in. Follow the 'Selective Licensing Area' link below to find out more.

Read more here

Download Application Forms

Go to Licensing Payment Page

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?