Transferring school during the school year

In all circumstances when a child is currently in school we advise parents to contact their child’s current Head Teacher to inform them of their intention to apply for another school place. You can submit your application by completion of the Common Application Form (Transfers).

  • If your child is moving to Rotherham from an address within England and you are applying for a place in advance of that move, you should contact the local authority where you currently live in the first instance
  • If you are moving within Rotherham you need to indicate your anticipated new address and the proposed date of your move.  We may ask for confirmation of your new address
  • If you are moving to another Authority you can apply for a school place through Rotherham’s school admission team in advance of your move but you may also wish to discuss availability of places with the Admissions Team in the new authority
  • If you are not moving but wish your child to transfer school you will need to complete the Common Application Form but this must be handed back to the Head Teacher of your child’s current school for completion of section two before you return it
  • You should not apply directly to your preferred school, completed application forms should be returned to the School Admissions Team
  • If your application is refused you will be offered a right of appeal to an independent appeal panel


We aim to process your application within a maximum of 15 school days of receipt, however at busy times and when we are liaising with other admission authorities this may not always be possible. It is not possible to process any applications during school holidays.

Fair Access Protocol

In response to the revised guidance contained within the Department for Education’s School Admissions Code, the Rotherham Local Admissions Forum has agreed a Fair Access Protocol for the Rotherham area.

Download transfer application forms

Call the Admissions Team: 01709 823777

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?