Making changes to the definitive map

  1. Making changes to the definitive map (You are here)
  2. Claiming a path
  3. Apply to register or change a route

The definitive map and statement are the legal record of public rights of way. The record is only definitive on what it contains, not what it omits.

Public rights may exist over a route not shown on the map. There may also be further public rights over a recorded route.

If you believe such rights exist there are legal procedures to let us test this. If we find that these rights do exist, we can make a legal order to record these. This is a Definitive Map Modification Order.

We maintain a register of all current Definitive Map Modification Order applications. 

Request the Definitive Map Modification Order register

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page