Report child sexual exploitation
- Report child sexual exploitation
- Who it affects
- How it happens
- Signs of abuse (You are here)
- What you can do
Signs of abuse
Children and young people who are the victims of sexual exploitation often do not recognise that they are being exploited.
However, there are a number of signs that a child may be being groomed for sexual exploitation:
- Are they chatting online to people you have never met?
- Are they secretive about where they have been and with whom?
- Do they lack self confidence?
- Are they losing contact with family and friends of their own age, and associating with an older age group?
- Has there been a change in their mood or behaviour?
- Have you had concerns that they could be using drugs and/or alcohol?
- Have they begun a relationship with someone that you are concerned about?
- Have they been coming home with money, clothes, jewellery or gadgets they can't account for?
- Have they started to truant from school?
- Have they been missing from home?
- Are they staying out overnight?