Report child sexual exploitation
- Report child sexual exploitation
- Who it affects
- How it happens
- Signs of abuse
- What you can do (You are here)
What you can do
As a parent or carer, it is important to discuss with your child the differences between healthy and unhealthy relationships to help them understand the potential risks.
Children and young people may find it difficult to realise that they are being exploited. The person abusing them could come from any gender, race or culture.
There are a number of things you can do to protect your child:
- Make sure you understand the risks associated with your child being online, and act to minimise these risks
- Be cautious of older friends your child may have, or relationships with other young people where they appear to have control over your child
- Be aware of new, unexplained gifts or possessions and look out for your child staying out late or not returning home
- Stay alert to changes in behaviour or any physical signs of abuse, such as bruising