Letwell = "Lettewelle" = blocked well
The name Letwell is of middle english origin and first appears in a document of c1150 where Thomas de Letwell is recorded as holding an acre at Letwell as tenant of the honour of Tickhill.
It is one of four townships, the others being Firbeck, Gildingwells and Woodsetts, that appear to have been formed out of the manor of Laughton in the early middle ages.
The manor of Letwell came to belong to a family called de Laughton who transferred it to the Mauleverers in the 15th century. In 1662 the manor was sold to Sir Ralph Knight who had purchased an estate at Langold. Knight's daughter married Richard Taylor of Wallingwells and their daughter and heiress, Bridget, married Thomas White of Tuxford in 1698. Letwell remained part of the White's estates until they were sold in 1926.
By 1379 the population was around 100, of whom 44 were assessed for payment of the Poll Tax. The top payee was John de Sutton, merchant, and Dionisia his wife,who paid 12d. Everyone else paid the standard 4d.
The church of St Peter was built c1375 by John Mauleverer. The church was later rebuilt in 1820 at the expense of Henry Gally Knight but, in 1867, the church and church records were destroyed by fire. Only the tower remained and was incorporated into the new church that was provided by Sir Thomas Wollaston White. The church hall was originally a malthouse to South Farm. In 1870 Mrs Gally Knight had the building converted into a school for the village children.
The village has never been large and the population was only 107 in 1811. A 19th century peak population of 139 was reached in 1861 and 1871. The population declined to a low of 68 in 1931 before it started to climb again. A total of 131 inhabitants were recorded in both 1981 and 1991.
(Extracted from:- RMBC, Patchwork of Parishes, 1997)
Last modification: 30/01/2014