Residents warned over shed break-insPublished Thursday, 17th April 2014
Rotherham residents are being warned to be on their guard following a spate of break-ins to sheds and garages.
The break-ins happened in the Blackburn, Kimberworth and Kimberworth Park areas, usually overnight, and various items were stolen including tools, bicycles and lawnmowers.
Police and Safer Neighbourhood Teams are now warning residents to be on their guard and have offered the following advice.
- Visit the Sold Secure website to see security products for sheds and garages that are Police supported. These products include padlocks, chains, and ground anchors
- Record details of all your garden power tools and cycles on the national property database
- If you have an intruder alarm fitted at home, consider including your garage/shed as a part of the system
- Use a permanent marker pen to write your postcode and house number on the casing of power tools, lawnmowers, strimmers, and on the shaft of hand tools
- Use bolts, rather than screws, to secure the hinges of the door of your shed
- If you see people acting suspiciously close to your shed, or a neighbour's, call the Police and report the matter immediately