You are here: Home | News

News

Over 80 years in jail for child sexual exploitation gang

Published on Thursday, 2nd February 2017 in Child sexual exploitation news

Six men have been sentenced to 81-and-a-half years in prison for their roles in the sexual exploitation of two girls in Rotherham nearly 20 years ago.

The men – brothers Basharat, Nasar and Tayab Dad, Amjad Ali, Mohammed Sadiq and Matloob Hussain - were sentenced at Sheffield Crown Court today for their part in historic crimes of child sexual exploitation (CSE).

Their convictions and sentencings are the third in a series of high profile court cases featuring Rotherham victims and survivors.

In the last 12 months jail sentences totalling 198 years have been handed out for historic abuse cases. Following today’s sentences, this now totals 279-and-a-half years of jail terms for criminals who targeted Rotherham victims and survivors in the past. On top of this there has been more than 70 years handed to perpetrators of more recent child sexual exploitation crimes, following court cases in the last 18 months.

Cllr Chris Read, Leader of Rotherham Council said: “This sentencing once again shows how this abuse will not be tolerated and how we will continue to seek justice for those who were abused in the past. Perpetrators must understand that the passage of time does not protect them.

“We will continue to work in partnership with the National Crime Agency as they pick up the mantle from South Yorkshire Police to continue to bring perpetrators of this kind of crime to justice.”

Ian Thomas, Strategic Director of Children and Young People’s Services at Rotherham Council added: “Today we have once again seen justice being delivered with these long sentences handed down to those who have committed this awful historic abuse. We are sending a clear message to those who commit child sexual exploitation that this is not something which we will put up with here in Rotherham.

“Not only does this send a message to those who have committed crimes in the past, but also to those who are committing crimes today. In the last few months we have seen perpetrators like Stephen Smith; Matthew Wood; Corie Adams and Tom Wilkes, among others, all handed substantial sentences following multi-agency investigations. And just last week Paul Cartwright received 17 years for abusing a child. We will not stand by and watch this happen – we will find you and we will see justice is done.”

This was a South Yorkshire Police led investigation in partnership with Rotherham Council and the Crown Prosecution Service.

Temporary Detective Chief Inspector Martin Tate said: "Today's hearing is the culmination of a lengthy and complex investigation into the sexual abuse and exploitation of vulnerable children in Rotherham nearly two decades ago.

"This is our third significant inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham and with the lengthy jail terms handed down to these individuals today, we have now put 18 criminals behind bars for over 279 years.

"This was a South Yorkshire Police led investigation in partnership with Rotherham Council and the Crown Prosecution Service, and I would like to thank them for their assistance with the investigation.

“Following the successes achieved, we will now continue to move forward using the learning and best practice we have acquired over the last few years, through work done with our brave victims, their families and partnership agencies, to apply this practice to future investigations.

"I'd encourage any victims and survivors out there who are yet to come forward to please get in touch or tell someone you trust. Officers and specialist support agencies are here to listen, to investigate and to bring perpetrators of this heinous crime before the courts.”

Anyone who is concerned about the safety of a young person, or who may be suffering abuse themselves, is urged to seek help.

Call police on 101 or the MASH Team (Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub) on 01709 336080. Always dial 999 in an emergency.

Tweets from the Newsroom