Anti-Social Behaviour and Off Road Motorbikes

South Yorkshire Police regularly receives complaints concerning the anti-social use of off-road motorbikes. Ambulance crews are regularly called out to children and young adults who have sustained serious injuries as a result of using these bikes illegally and without wearing any protective clothing or helmet.
Don’t let your child be the next casualty. Make sure off-road motorbikes are used safely and legally.
You can only ride an off-road motorbike legally if it is on private land and you have the land owner’s permission. Land owned by the local council is not classed as private land.

Not everyone using off road motorbikes does so illegally and there are a number of specialist sites where they can be ridden legally.
Follow this link to find out where you can find special sites to ride legally.
What does the law say?
In law, off road motorbikes are regarded as motor vehicles which must be constructed to a specific standard in order to be ridden on a public highway. Most off road motorbikes do not meet this standard. Visit the Department for Transport’s website  for more information.
In addition to meeting construction requirements, off road motorbikes also need
the following if they are to be used on a public highway:
• DVLA registration
• Road tax
• A valid MOT
• Fitted with lights
• Fitted with registration plates
• Type approval
The rider must also:
• Be aged 17 or over (or 16 if the vehicle meets the definition of a moped)
• Hold a valid driving licence
• Have valid motor insurance
• Wear suitable safety equipment (e.g. a motorbike helmet)
If the above conditions are not met, it is illegal to ride an off road motorbike on the road. If you own or ride one of these vehicles it is your responsibility to know the law.
Failure to comply is a criminal offence and may result in prosecution under the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Police Reform Act 2002.

How can local communities help?
Are off road motorbikes causing a nuisance in your neighbourhood? Do you have any information about the use of these vehicles, where they are being ridden and who by?
Call your local police on 101.
If you want to provide information anonymously, contact the independent crime fighting charity – Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Information that can help police may include:
• The name and address of the owner of the off- road motorbike
• Where the bike is stored
• When and where the bike is being used (e.g. days, times and routes)
• Any other useful information such as a description of those who use the bike and it’s make/model/colour
Police Reform Act 2002
Where a motor vehicle is used in a careless, inconsiderate manner or is ridden off road causing or likely to cause alarm, distress or annoyance to any member of the public, police have powers to stop the rider/driver. If following a warning, the person continues to offend, police can seize and remove the vehicle. A police officer can also enter any premises with force if necessary to exercise these powers.