Arrange a marriage or civil partnership

Documents you will need

You must provide certain documents when you give notice of marriage. You need an appointment at the register office to give notice.

Citizens of Britain and other European Economic Area countries must produce evidence of:

  • Name and surname
  • Date of birth
  • Nationality
  • Home address
  • Condition (whether you are single, divorced or widowed)

Both you and your partner must provide any of:

  • A British or European Economic Area passport
  • Your birth certificate. If you were born on or after 1 January 1983, we also need your mother’s birth certificate. Or your father’s birth certificate, if your parents were married when you were born.
  • A certificate of registration as a British citizen granted by the Secretary of State
  • A certificate of naturalisation as a British citizen granted by the Secretary of State

You must also bring one of these documents:

  • A gas, water or electricity bill dated within the last three months
  • A bank or building society statement dated within the last month
  • A Council Tax bill from the last 12 months
  • A mortgage statement from the last 12 months
  • A current residential tenancy agreement
  • A valid United Kingdom driving licence. This must be in the name of the person giving notice of marriage. The licence can be full or provisional and issued by the UK, Isle of Man or Channel Islands.