A guide to your council tax bill

What you need to know

About your bill

The amount you pay in Council Tax is based on the band in which your property is classified.

Paying your bill

You can pay your Council Tax in one lump sum, in two payments (the first in April and the second in September) or in weekly / fortnightly / monthly instalments. If you have any outstanding balance from the previous year, the law does not allow us to include this within the instalments due for your new bill from April. Any outstanding balance should be paid straight away or a payment arrangement made by contacting us.

You still need to pay your Council Tax bill even if there are council-provided services that you don't use. If you do not pay your bill, the Council can take action to recover the money that is owed.

If you are not able to make a payment then please contact the Council as soon as possible.

Moving house and empty properties

If you move house at any point during the year then you should inform the Council as soon as possible. You may be able to get a refund on the tax that you have already paid or have it transferred to the bill for your new property if you are moving within the borough.

Council Tax is still payable on an empty property. If a property has been empty and unfurnished for two years, an additional 100 per cent premium is payable. 

We are required by law to send a bill, even if the amount owed is zero.

Contacting the Council

If you have questions about your bill or need to update your details, visit the Council Tax pages on the Council website. You can access the Council website for free at your local library. See the back of your bill for details of how to pay by Direct Debit and other methods of payment.

More about Council Tax