Council Tax on second homes and empty properties

Council Tax on new properties

The Council sends completion notices to new properties.

A completion notice tells you the day we think that the property is complete. You have to start paying Council Tax from this date.

A property is complete when you finish the basic structure. For example, the exterior and interior walls are built, the floors are laid, and services are laid to the site. The property might still need more work before you can live in it. For example, installing a bathroom or kitchen.

We can serve a completion notices up to three months in advance if we expect you to complete the remaining work in that time.

Contact us about a completion notice