Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Frequently Asked Questions

What alert level is Rotherham currently in?

Rotherham and other areas across England are under national lockdown restrictions until Wednesday 2 December  (from Wednesday 2 December local tiered restrictions will be in force

See Coronavirus guidance

Information on the current national lockdown restrictions:

Can I go to work?

Under current national lockdown restrictions to help contain the virus, everyone who can work effectively from home must do so. Where people cannot do so (for instance people who work in critical national infrastructure, construction or manufacturing) they should continue to travel to work/attend their workplace. This is essential to keeping the country operating and supporting vital sectors and employers.

Public sector employees working in essential services, including education settings, should continue to go into work . The risk of transmission can be substantially reduced if COVID-secure guidelines are followed closely. Extra consideration should be given to those people at higher risk.

Can I meet my family and friends?

Under current national lockdown restrictions, you must not meet socially indoors with family or friends unless they are part of your household - meaning the people you live with - or support bubble.

A support bubble is where a household with one adult joins with another household. Households in that support bubble can still visit each other, stay overnight, and visit outdoor public places together.

You can exercise or visit outdoor public places with the people you live with, your support bubble, or 1 person from another household (children under school age, as well as those dependent on round-the-clock care, such as those with severe disabilities, who are with their parents will not count towards the limit on two people meeting outside).

Outdoor public places include:

  • parks, beaches, countryside,
  • public gardens (whether or not you pay to enter them), allotments
  • playgrounds

You cannot meet in a private garden.

Are schools and colleges still open?

Schools and colleges are still open. If you have any questions about your local school, contact them directly.

Can I still access childcare?

During national lockdown restrictions parents can still access some registered childcare and other childcare activities (including wraparound care) where reasonably necessary to enable parents to work, or for the purposes of respite care.

Early years settings can remain open. Parents are able to form a childcare bubble with another household for the purposes of informal childcare, where the child is 13 or under. As above, some households will also be able to benefit from being in a support bubble, which allows single adult households to join another household.

Some youth services  w be able to continue, such as 1-1 youth work and support groups, but most youth clubs and groups will need to cease for this period.

What is a support bubble?

If you live on your own or are the only adult in your home, you can make a support bubble with one other household of any size. This means you will be able to mix with your support bubble at home, indoors and outdoors.

Other households in your support bubble can only mix with your household.

I live on my own. What support is available to me?

If you need support with getting medication, food parcels, walking your dogs, or need someone to talk to, you can request support from the Rotherham Heroes.

Fill out a request support form

Are parks, play areas and playgrounds still open?

Parks, playgrounds and play areas are open. Hospitality venues within parks, such as café, are continuing to operate a takeaway service. Activities such as Water Sports, Tennis, Bowling Greens, Football Pitches, Golf and Soft Play are suspended during lockdown.

Are Libraries open?

Libraries are operating an Order and Collect service only, with no public access to library buildings.

Are Leisure centres open?

Leisure centres across Rotherham are closed between 5th November and 2nd December. Timetabled classes and group meetings are also cancelled during this time.

From Wednesday 2nd December Rotherham will move into Tier 3 restrictions. More information can be found on the website

Can children's classes take place within fitness centres, gyms and community centre settings?

These are not permitted to continue between 5th November and 2nd December.

Is Clifton park museum open?

Clifton Park Museum is closed between 5th November and 2nd December and Boston Castle will remain closed until Spring next year.

The Museum café is operating a takeaway service.

From Wednesday 2nd December Rotherham will move into Tier 3 restrictions. More information can be found on the website

Is Rotherham Market open?

Rotherham Market is currently open for essential shopping and services only until 2nd December.

The Market is operating Monday to Saturday with reduced opening hours between 8.30am to 2pm. The Thursday Bazaar Market will be open from 10am – 4pm for essential foods only.

The Tuesday Street Market, Crafters and Outdoor Covered Retail and Second-hand Markets will remain closed.

From Wednesday 2nd December Rotherham will move into Tier 3 restrictions. More information can be found on the website

Are toilets open in the Town Centre?

The All Saints Square toilets and Market toilets are open.

Are Household Waste Recycling Centres still open?

Household Waste Recycling Centres at Greasbrough, Bramley, Rawmarsh and North Anston are open between 10am and 4pm Monday to Sunday during winter.

Is Waleswood Caravan and campsite open?

Waleswood Caravan and campsite is closed and will remain closed for the duration of lockdown. Customers will be contacted separately.

Is Rotherham Civic Theatre closed?

Rotherham Civic Theatre will remain closed until Spring next year.

Can I go fishing?

Fishing can continue, but only with members of your household/linked household or one other person from outside your home. People are advised not to travel long distances to go fishing and competitions cannot take place.

Can I take my dog to the groomers?

Dog groomers can open, however there is no exemption to restrictions to enable customers to travel to a dog groomer.

Can I travel outside of my local area?

You should avoid travelling in or out of your local area, and you should look to reduce the number of journeys you make. However you can and should still travel for a number of reasons, including:

  • travelling to work where this cannot be done from home
  • travelling to education and for caring responsibilities
  • hospital GP and other medical appointments or visits where you have had an accident or are concerned about your health
  • visiting venues that are open, including essential retail
  • exercise, if you need to make a short journey to do so

More information can be found on the GOV.UK website

When do I need to wear a face covering?

Face coverings must be worn by customers, passengers and staff in shops, taxis, on public transport and in hospitality venues, except when seated to eat and drink. You could be fined a minimum £200 if you do not wear a face covering on public transport.

Some people cannot wear face coverings for reasons such as medical conditions, learning difficulties or due to a disability. These are not always visible so please try to be understanding.

Children under the age of 14 do not have to wear a face covering and infants under the age of three must not wear a face covering as this could obstruct their airways.

Are local pubs and restaurants still open?

Hospitality venues like restaurants, bars and pubs are closed, but can still provide takeaway and delivery services. However, takeaway of alcohol is not allowed.

Can I attend a funeral?

There are currently restrictions on funeral services:

See Registration and Funeral Services

Are weddings and civil partnerships still taking place?

No weddings or civil partnership ceremonies will be allowed between Thursday 5 November and 2 December.

See Weddings and Civil Partnerships

Can I visit my relative/friend in their care home?

Residential care homes are currently operating a no visit policy in Rotherham, however there are exemptions for certain circumstances, for example if somebody is receiving end-of-life care, but this is at the discretion of the residential home.

If you are wanting to visit a relative living in a care home outside of the Very High alert category, please check with the home before you travel.

I am a self-employed trades person. Can I still take on jobs and appointments at other people’s houses?

If you are a cleaner, plumber, builder, electrician, mobile hairdresser, or community health and social care worker, you can still visit people’s home for work purposes. You must follow social distancing guidelines where possible and also wear suitable PPE.

What happens if I do not follow the new restrictions?

Rotherham Council and South Yorkshire Police have been granted additional powers to take action against those who break the restrictions.

The police can now ask groups of people to disperse and can issue up to a maximum fine of £6,400 for participating in illegal gatherings. If you hold or are involved in holding an illegal gathering, the police can issue fines of £10,000.

What do I do if I have symptoms of COVID-19?

If you start to experience coronavirus symptoms, it is important that you get a tested and self-isolate at home right away. Visit or call 119 to book a test.

More information can be found on the GOV.UK website