Council Services and Service Changes
Schools, Colleges and Early Years
Arrangements for returning to education from 1st June 2020
Most Rotherham schools have remained open through the Coronavirus restrictions to provide school places for vulnerable children and the children of key workers. The Government has confirmed that this should continue and that it is also asking schools to begin to open up further places from Monday 1st June, starting with nursery, reception, year 1 and year 6.
The Council is supporting local schools and early years settings to do this.
Early years and childcare
Many Ofsted registered group and childcare providers will be providing places from 1st June but capacity will be reduced in line with restrictions. Contact Rotherham Families Information Service on 01709 822429, or email [email protected] for details of available places.
Vulnerable children and the children of key workers
In Rotherham, schools remain open for vulnerable children and the children of key workers. If you are a designated key worker and/ or your child is classed as vulnerable, your child is entitled to a school place. If his or her school is not open, an alternative school place can be provided.
To make an enquiry about school places, please email [email protected]
Further advice to parents and carers
The Department for Education has provided general advice to parents and carers about the closure of educational settings, including information on exams and free school meals.
Department for Education helpline
Department for Education helpline relating to COVID-19 for school and college staff, parents and young people.
Phone: 0800 046 8687
Email: [email protected]
Help with Council Tax
Depending on your household's individual circumstances, you may be elegible for one or both of these sources of support.
- Council Tax Support (hardship fund): if you are a working age recipient of Local Council Tax Support payments you will receive additional Council Tax support of £200 which will be deducted from your current year (2020/21) Council Tax bill. This includes people who are newly eligible for Local Council Tax support.
- Council Tax deferral: This is available if you are struggling to pay their Council Tax for the current year (2020/21) because your income (and/or that of your partner) has reduced by 20% or more as a result of Coronavirus (Covid-19) crisis. It will allow you to temporarily defer and reschedule payments of your Council Tax by up to three months.
Remembering Loved Ones
Changes have been made to registration and funeral services.
Cemeteries, Burial grounds and Crematoria
The eight Council-owned cemeteries are open. These are: East Herringthorpe, Maltby, Moorgate, Haugh Road, Greasbrough, Greasbrough Lane, Masbrough, Wath and East Herringthorpe. The East Herringthorpe crematorium building is closed except for when funerals are taking place.
Bereavement Listening Service
If you have lost a loved one during the coronavirus pandemic, you can talk to a trained therapist who can offer emotional health and wellbeing support.
Freephone 0800 048 5224
Bin Collections and Recycling Centres
All bin collections are currently being completed on schedule. Household Waste Recycling Centres are open, with restrictions in place.
Reporting Business Concerns
Report concerns on businesses operating social distancing:
- Daytime between 8.30am and 6pm: 01709 823118, or where the issue relates to a food business, 01709 823164
- Out of hours, between 6pm and 12am (midnight): 01709 823140
Critical housing services are being prioritised:
- Emergency repairs and gas servicing
- Homelessness prevention and support
- Supporting our most vulnerable tenants
- Supporting people who are struggling financially
- Dealing with serious antisocial behaviour
- Supporting people who are at risk of harm
Parks and Green Spaces
Parks are open but cafes and kiosks, children's play areas and outdoor gym equipment are closed. Social distancing guidelines must be adhered to. Car parks, toilets and hand washing facilities remain open where possible with regular cleaning taking place.
Rotherham Libraries are currently running services online.
Starting from 1st June, Rotherham Outdoor Covered Market is open as follows:
- Monday: General Retail, 8.30am - 5pm
- Tuesday: Second-hand, 8.30am - 4pm
- Wednesday: Second-hand, 8.30am - 4pm
- Friday: General Retail, 8.30am - 5pm
- Saturday: General Retail, 8.30am - 5pm
Rotherham Indoor Market is open on Fridays and Saturdays from 8.30am to 2pm for essential food items.
A number of traders are offering a delivery service:
- Ellis Fresh Fruit & Veg - 07766 525888
- K.D.Davis & Sons - The Greengrocers - 01302 965810
- Pattersons butchers - 01709 370536
- Scott Driver Local Greengrocer - 07500 505350
- JOES FRESH MEATS LTD - 01709 373397
- Ann's Candy - 07706 148039
Rotherham Bazaar Market and Tuesday Street Market are currently closed.