Discretionary Housing Payments
These are extra payments to help pay rent. They can be awarded to you if you are already receiving Housing Benefit but need more help with your housing costs.
We cannot give a payment for:
- Service or support charges not covered by Housing Benefit
- Any council tax liability
- Money taken from your Housing Benefit because your Employment and Support Allowance or Jobseekers Allowance has been sanctioned
- Housing payments if they are suspended
- Rent if the only benefit you get is Second Adult Rebate
- Increases in rent due to outstanding rent payments
For help with your rent, your payment will be based on your full rent less any amounts you have to pay for services. We cannot pay anything above either of these figures.
There is no guarantee that we will definitely give you a Discretionary Housing Payment, as the Council are only permitted to spend a certain amount of payments per year.