Apply For Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support
- Check your benefit entitlement
- Apply for benefit (You are here)
- What you must provide to support your benefit claim
Apply for benefit
From the 11 July 2018 Universal Credit has been rolled out across Rotherham and you may have to claim Universal Credit instead of Housing Benefit for help with your rent.
You can claim Housing Benefit:
- If you are the qualifying age to claim Pension Credit.
- If you have 3 or more dependent children living with you.
- If you live in supported accommodation (also known as specified accommodation).
- If you live in Temporary Accommodation, that is being provided to you by the Council if you are homeless.
- If you live in an area starting with post codes S13 9 or S20 1. Please note, after the 12/12/18 you will be required to claim Universal Credit unless you fall into one of the other categories.
- If you live in an area starting with post codes S35 2. Please note, after the 12/12/18 you will be required to claim Universal Credit unless you fall into one of the other categories.
If the above does not apply to you, you need to claim Universal Credit to help with your rent.
You can still claim Council Tax Support from us to help with your Council Tax. Please register and sign in to Your Account.
You must now claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support online. It's quick, easy and convenient to do.
First you need to register for Your Account, which helps you manage some Council services online. If you are already registered, simply sign in.
The claim form can be found within the Your Services area, under the Benefits service.
If you also want to claim Free School Meals, this will be automatically processed if you are awarded Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support and you get any of the qualifying benefits.