Housing Benefit: reductions for students

  1. Housing Benefit: reductions for students
  2. Eligibility (You are here)
  3. Students from abroad
  4. Student nurses
  5. Student loans
  6. Evidence we need to see


Some students may be able to get Housing Benefit if:

  • you have children
  • you are a student who has reached state pension credit age or whose partner has
  • you get Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance or income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • you get the Disability Premium (this is an allowance we use to work out benefit for people who meet certain conditions)
  • you get a Disabled Student's Allowance for deafness
  • you are under 22 and not in higher education (this means that you are in any education after the age of 16, up
  • to and including GCE 'A' Level or BTEC National Diploma or National Certificate, whether or not the course leads to a qualification)
  • you are under 20 and someone gets Child Benefit for you
  • your course has been interrupted, with the approval of the college or university, due to illness or caring responsibilities
  • you have been covered by a sick note saying that you've not been able to work due to illness or disability for at least 28 weeks
  • you are a part-time student
  • you have a partner who is not a student (they would have to claim, not you)
Full-time students who can't get Council Tax Reduction may be able to get other help:
  • Student Second Adult Rebate
  • About Council Tax for students. (including discounts and exemptions)

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page