Having problems paying your Council Tax

  1. Having problems paying your Council Tax
  2. What happens if you don't pay your Council Tax
  3. If we have started court action against you
  4. Attachments to your benefits
  5. Attachments to your earnings (You are here)
  6. Using enforcement agents to recover unpaid Council Tax
  7. Committal to prison and bankruptcy
  8. Get help if you are struggling to pay

Attachments to your earnings

If the court grants a liability order, we can instruct your employer to take money from your wages or salary.

The rate of deduction depends on your take home pay and is set by the government. Your employer must apply these set rates. Further guidance for you and your employer is available to download.

We ask your employer to start making deductions as soon as possible. You will need to ask them when this will be if you are unsure.

Your employer will keep a record of how much remains before your debt is clear. Deductions should stop once the debt is repaid. You should keep your wage slips as your own record of the amount paid.

You cannot tell your employer not to make deductions. The attachment of earnings order is a legal document. We can prosecute your employer if they do not comply.

We cannot take deductions if your take home pay is less than £75 a week or £300 a month. You must contact us immediately if you know that your earnings are too low to make deductions. If you don't, we may recover the money from you in another way.

Calculate the amount of deductions

If you are on a low wage you may be able to claim help towards your Council Tax.

If you change jobs or stop work, you must tell us as soon as possible and give us details of any new employment.

At any time, you can arrange to pay the outstanding amount in full. We will then ask your employer to stop making deductions.

Download the further guidance

Make a Council Tax enquiry

Get help to pay

Offer to pay in full

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page