Having problems paying your Council Tax
- Having problems paying your Council Tax
- What happens if you don't pay your Council Tax
- If we have started court action against you
- Attachments to your benefits
- Attachments to your earnings
- Using enforcement agents to recover unpaid Council Tax (You are here)
- Committal to prison and bankruptcy
- Get help if you are struggling to pay
Using enforcement agents to recover unpaid Council Tax
We will first try to recover what you owe from any benefits or earnings you receive. You will also have the chance to make a payment arrangement.
If these recovery methods don't work, we will ask enforcement agents to collect what you owe for us. Enforcement agents were once known as bailiffs.
If we use an enforcement agent then further costs of up to £420 may be added to what you already owe.
|Fee stage||Fixed fee||Extra amount|
|Compliance stage - enforcement notice||£75||0 percent|
|Enforcement stage - enforcement agent visit to take control of goods||£235||7.5 percent of debts over £1,500|
|Sale or disposal stage - enforcement visit to remove goods||£110||7.5 percent of debts over £1,500|