Having problems paying your Council Tax
- Having problems paying your Council Tax
- What happens if you don't pay your Council Tax
- If we have started court action against you
- Attachments to your benefits
- Attachments to your earnings
- Using enforcement agents to recover unpaid Council Tax
- Committal to prison and bankruptcy (You are here)
- Get help if you are struggling to pay
Committal to prison and bankruptcy
If enforcement agents fail to collect the arrears, we can apply for a court order to send you to prison for up to 90 days.
We can also start proceedings to make you bankrupt or place an order for sale on your property.
These actions will add significant further costs and charges to what you owe. They will also affect your credit rating so you may find it harder to get credit in the future.