Get help with noise problems

  1. Get help with noise problems
  2. Problems we investigate
  3. Report a noise problem
  4. Taking private legal action
  5. Control of noise from burglar alarms (You are here)

Control of noise from burglar alarms

Anyone who has a burglar alarm fitted to their home or business needs to make sure no noise nuisance occurs. Your alarm should be fitted in accordance with BS4737 and have an automatic cut out device.

Action may be taken against you if you allow your alarm to ring unnecessarily.

If your alarm is causing noise nuisance and the council is unable to contact a key holder within a reasonable period of time, formal action will be taken.

An abatement notice will be left and an electrical engineer will be called out to silence the alarm. The owner will then be responsible for repaying the council back for the costs of this.

You should notify the police and the local Environmental Health Authority when a new alarm is set up/replaced. If an alarm is report for causing noise nuisance then the key holder will be contacted so the problem can be resolved.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page