Apply for a scrap or salvage licence

The law has now changed. Scrap metal dealers and motor salvage operators must now apply for either:

A site licence

All the sites where you carry on business as a scrap dealer must be identified, and you must name a manager for each site. This licence allows you to move scrap metal to and from those sites.

A collector's licence

This allows you to operate as a collector only in the area the licence was issued in. You will need a separate licence if you wish to operate elsewhere. The licence does not authorise you to operate a site - you will need a site licence for this.

Enquire about a scrap or salvage licence

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?