Private and Housing Association rented housing — information for tenants
- Problems or disrepair with your rented home (You are here)
- How to rent
- Check your house is licensed
- Harassment and illegal eviction
- Follow us
- Report a problem
- Home improvement services for vulnerable people
Problems or disrepair with your rented home
When you rent a home you have a right for it to be safe. Your landlord must make repairs to the property. When you first move in, it should be fit to live in. If there are repair issues speak to your landlord first. If they do not act to solve the problem then you can contact the Council to ask us to get involved.
The most common things we deal with are:
- Broken/unsafe boilers
- Damp and mould
- Trip hazards because of worn floor coverings in rooms and on stairs
- Fire alarms
If needed we will inspect your home and require your landlord to fix anything which is a serious risk to your health and safety.