A Guide to School Transport and Travel
- Under Fives (Early Years learners)
- Primary aged learners (five to 10 years)
- Secondary aged learners (11-16 years) (You are here)
- Post 16/Further Education Students
Secondary aged learners (11-16 years)
All children living within the Rotherham borough aged between 11 and 16 years old can use public transport within South Yorkshire at a rate of 80p per single journey.
If your child is attending a school or academy and is aged between 11 and 16 years old, free transport assistance may be available. For example:
- If your child is in receipt of free school meals and lives more than two miles, but less than six miles, from any of their three nearest appropriate qualifying schools
- If your child is attending their nearest appropriate qualifying school that is more than three miles away from their permanent home address
The distance criteria are based on an available walking route between the home and the qualifying school. If this is not available, then free transport assistance may be considered.
If you feel your child may qualify, please complete the enquiry form:
However, if your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) your child's individual transport needs will be assessed and suitable transport assistance may be recommended.
If you feel your child may qualify for transport assistance because of their physical or medical needs and/or disabilities please complete the enquiry form: