Transferring school during the school year
In all circumstances when a child is currently in school we advise parents to contact their child's current Head Teacher to inform them of their intention to apply for another school place. You can submit your application by completion of the Common Application Form (Transfers).
- If your child is moving to Rotherham from an address within England and you are applying for a place in advance of that move, you should contact the local authority where you currently live in the first instance.
- If you are moving within Rotherham you need to indicate your anticipated new address and the proposed date of your move. We may ask for confirmation of your new address.
- If you are moving to another Authority you can apply for a school place through Rotherham's school admission team in advance of your move but you may also wish to discuss availability of places with the Admissions Team in the new authority.
- If you are not moving but wish your child to transfer school you will need to complete the Common Application Form but this must be handed back to the Head Teacher of your child's current school for completion of section two before you return it.
- You should not apply directly to your preferred school, completed application forms should be returned to the School Admissions Team.
- If there is more than one child involved each request will be considered on an individual basis. If a child is offered or admitted to a school it does not guarantee a place at that particular school for any other child/children in the family.
- If your application is refused you will be offered a right of appeal to an independent appeal panel.
The Admissions Team will record all in-year transfer applications and will forward your application via email to your preferred school for consideration as quickly as possible. However, parents should be aware that each school is given up to 15 school days, from the date of receipt of the application from the Admissions Team, to consider an application. At busy times and if we are liaising with other admission authorities it may take longer to receive decisions for your preferred school(s). Please be aware that it is not possible to process any applications during school holidays and your application will be considered as soon as schools re-open.
In-year applications are considered on a date received basis. Parents can make applications up to one term before the date when they would like their child to start at the preferred school. Parents seeking a transfer of school in the following September can apply from the 1st May onwards. Any application for admission in the following September which is received prior to this date will be put on hold and considered as having been received on 1st May.
Fair Access Protocol
In response to the revised guidance contained within the Department for Education's School Admissions Code, the Rotherham Local Admissions Forum has agreed a Fair Access Protocol for the Rotherham area.