Get help for someone being abused or neglected

  1. Get help for an adult
  2. Get help for a child (You are here)

Get help for a child

If the child is in immediate danger contact the police on 999 (in an emergency only)

Call the Police on 999

If the child is not in immediate danger contact Rotherham Children's Social Care Services to report your concerns

Call MASH on 01709 336080

If the child is not in immediate danger but you believe a crime may have been committed, you can also contact the police on 101

If you are contacting us about a child who already has Social Worker involvement please contact them directly for advice if you know who they are.

If you are not sure if the child is already known to Children’s Social Care or you do not know who the social worker is, you should contact us by telephone to make a referral about a child or young person. Call the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01709 336080.  

If you are a member of the public, this is all you need to do.  You can choose to remain anonymous or you can give your details which will be treated confidentially.

Professionals must also complete the form below to confirm telephone referrals in writing within 24 hours. 

Multi agency referral form

You don’t have to ring first to make the referral, but you must complete the form.  You can also ring to discuss your concerns with a social worker who can help you decide whether or not you need to make a referral.  

We will consider the information you provide but some referrals will not result in an assessment or the provision of a service. You should continue to provide universal or targeted services whilst awaiting the outcome decision. We will inform you of the outcome of your referral in writing within three days.

If social care thresholds are not met we will consider the case for referral to Early Help. They may identify universal or targeted services to offer appropriate support provision.   We may share information within this form with other professionals relating to the support need.

For more information about how to make a referral please see the procedures -

Procedures online


Have you spoken to the parent/carer and/or young person to let you know that you are making this referral? Do you have their consent to make this referral?      

If it appears that your concern is not one of child protection, but may require the provision of other Children’s Social Care services, including an Early Help or Child in Need Assessment, the you must seek the consent of the parents for assessment by Children's Social Care to proceed.

Consent is not necessary if the child is at risk of significant harm but it is good practice to inform the parent/carer/child that you are making the referral, unless this would put the child at additional risk.  

Not being able to inform the parents when the child is at risk of significant harm should not delay the referral being made

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?

Previous page Next page