Local newspapers are a useful source of information for both family history and local history research.
By the 18th century publishers had set up local presses to meet a growing demand for news. The newspapers covered mainly national news although the amount of local news steadily increased.
Abolition of excise and stamp duties from the 1830s onwards led to a proliferation of local newspapers. Today many local newspapers are published, highlighting the events of particular towns and villages and include advertisements and public notices, such as births, marriages, and deaths.
This is the longest running newspaper covering the Metropolitan Borough of Rotherham. It was founded by Ann Hinchliffe and Son, and the first edition was published on 2 January 1858. Since then the Rotherham Advertiser has been printed almost every week with only a few exceptions.
The following newspapers are available for viewing but you may need to book in advance to view both printed and microfilm copies. Please contact us before you visit.
Current newspapers serving the local area:
- Dearne Valley Weekender: 1988 to date
- Dinnington and Maltby Guardian: 1987 to date
- Dinnington and Maltby Trader: 1972 to date
- Gazette (formerly Swinton Gazette): 1995-1999, 2006 to date
- Maltby News: April 2008 to date
- Rotherham Advertiser: 1858- to date (microfilmed)
- Rotherham News: September 2008 to date
- Rotherham Record: 1973, 1977 to date
- Star (City edition): 29 March 2008- to date (please note: the Rotherham edition ceased in March 2008)
- South Yorkshire Times: 1877 to date (microfilmed)
- Wickersley News: October 2008 to date
Former newspaper titles:
- Dearne Advertiser (formerly Times Extra, South Yorkshire Extra, Mexborough Leader): 1988-2 May 2008
- Etherington's York Chronicle: January 1774-December 1775 (quote archive number 89-F/K/1/1 to view)
- Maltby Mail: July 2006-January 2008
- Mexborough, Swinton & Wath Record: 5 August-30 December 1865 (microfilmed)
- Rotherham Christian Herald: February-June 1877 (microfilmed)
- Rotherham Echo: 29 January 1993-30 September 1993
- Rotherham Evening Echo: 24 September 1906-31 October 1908 (microfilmed)
- Rotherham Express (1): 16-23 March 1887 (2 Issues) (microfilmed)
- Rotherham Express (2): 1896-1965
- Rotherham Free Press: 6 January-24 March 1894 (microfilmed)
- Rotherham Independent: October 1993-January 1994
- Rotherham Journal: 12 September 1857-25 January 1861 (microfilmed)
- Rotherham and Masbrough Guardian: 24 March-13 October 1877 (microfilmed)
- Rotherham Messenger: October 1982-July 1991
- Rotherham Weekend Shopper: September 1986-March 1987
- Rotherham Weekly Gazette: June 1994-March 1996
- Rotherham Weekly News: 15 April 1899-24 February 1900 (microfilmed)
- Sheffield Morning Telegraph: December 1890-February 1986(microfilmed)
- South Yorkshire Sunday News: 10 September-1 October 1978
- Star (Rotherham Edition): 1 January 1957-28 March 2008
- Steel News: 1969-1987 (incomplete)
Last modified: 22/10/2013