Rotherham’s foster care community shines in new videoPublished Monday, 14th May 2018
More than 30 Rotherham council foster carers, children, councillors and fostering team staff are appearing in a new video asking one simple question: Do you have the heart to foster?
Filmed to mark the national Foster Care Fortnight, the video aims to raise awareness of the urgent need for more people to apply to foster Rotherham’s looked after children. It can be viewed on the Council’s fostering webpage at www.rotherham.gov.uk/fostering
The Rotherham fostering video, called Transforming Lives – the theme of this year’s Foster Care Fortnight - features youngsters as young as two, through to Rotherham Council Chief Executive, Sharon Kemp. The video includes an emotional plea to help to keep Rotherham’s “most vulnerable children safe, secure, loved and close”.
Cllr Gordon Watson, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Children and Young People’s Services, who also features in the film, said: “This film shows the amazing diversity and passion of our fostering community and its supporters.
“We put out a call for people to be involved in the project by filming themselves on their mobile phones - we were inundated with replies. The response is another example of how committed and proud our community is to care for our looked after children and that they are urging other people to share their passion.”
The video is just one of many Council projects and events organised during Foster Care Fortnight which starts on Monday 14 May. Other events include:
- The launch of the Mockingbird Family Model in Rotherham, one of the key initiatives in the council’s foster carer recruitment and retention strategy. Interviews and photos available with Rotherham’s first Hub foster carers.
- Challenge 63 – we are challenging every elected member of the council to recruit one fostering family. The councillors will be attending information sessions during Foster Care Fortnight and going out into the community to recruit potential foster families.
- Foster Care Fortnight official launch with Rotherham Mayor Cllr Eve Keenan, foster carers and staff at 12 noon on Tuesday 15th May in All Saints Square.
- Fostering information stand at the Rotherham Bazaar 10am to 2pm Thursday 17 May.
- Fostering information drop-in session Rotherham Town Hall 10am to 12pm Thursday 17 May.
- Information Stand at Wath Tesco 9.30am-1pm Wednesday 23 May
- Information Stand at Wentworth Garden Centre 10am to 1.30pm Thursday 24 May
- Information Stand at Costa Coffee Parkgate Retail World 9.30am-1pm Friday 25 May