Last chance to have a say on changes to early help servicesPublished Tuesday, 29th May 2018
It is the last chance for people to have their say over proposed changes to the way the early help and family engagement services are delivered as time runs out on a consultation.
The Council is consulting on a range of proposals to further develop its early help offer, including plans which will affect some children’s centres and youth centres.
The 60 day public consultation ends in less than two weeks, on 7 June.
Since the launch of the early help offer in January 2016, the Council has saved £1.2m by bringing together previously separate services into locality based teams across the borough.
The offer now includes children’s centres, youth provision, family support services, education welfare, youth offending services and evidence based programmes such as parenting and sleep tight. Leaders have pledged to focus the Council’s limited resources on services for children, young people and families and ensuring they remain accessible to those who need them most.
Cllr Gordon Watson, Deputy Leader and Cabinet Member for Children and Young People’s Services and Neighbourhood Working said: “We have had a number of responses already which is great news. We now want to ensure everyone has had an opportunity to have their say on our proposals.
“It is imperative that we hear people’s views now, otherwise we will not be able to take them into account when it comes to making a final decision.”
Under the proposals the current level of provision in the borough will not be significantly reduced as the savings needed will come mostly from reducing the cost of management and running buildings.
People instead will be able to access services at sites they already use in the community or through more targeted youth activities. The Council is also planning to continue to offer access to services within local neighbourhoods, but in different venues and community spaces that people have said they would prefer to use.
“If we are going to continue to be effective, then we need to be out there in the community, ensuring that services are where people need them the most and not tied to delivering services from Council owned buildings,” added Cllr Watson.
As part of the consultation process the Council has worked with Rotherham’s Youth Cabinet, who is also encouraging young people to view their consultation video on YouTube and to take part in their own survey.
Youth Cabinet member Jack Hogan added: “We want to know what young people think of these changes so their views can be considered as part of the consultation process.
“Some of the plans include changes to youth centres. If you or anyone you know uses these services we would love for you to be on board with this campaign. We are encouraging young people to complete this survey and asking them to try and promote the survey to other young people using the hashtag #BIGYSC2. Your views on what you use will help decision makers later down the line.”
Young people are urged to complete the Big Youth Service Consultation survey:
The Youth Cabinet has also created a video explaining why we are taking part in this campaign: