You should read the following information before submitting a request for a transfer of school.
Where mentioned “school” refers to schools and academies.
You are advised to contact your child's current Head Teacher to discuss your intention to apply for another school place before applying for a school transfer. You can submit your application by completing an in-year school transfer form.
Applying for a school in another Authority
Applications for schools in another area should be submitted direct to the Local Authority in which your preferred schools are situated. You may wish to discuss availability of places with the Admissions Team in the new authority. If your application is unsuccessful you will be offered a right of appeal to an independent appeal panel.
Applying for a school in Rotherham
- Please do not apply direct to your preferred school. Completed application forms for a place in a Rotherham school should be returned to the Rotherham School Admissions Team who will liaise with your preferred school and write to you with the outcome of your request.
- If there is more than one child on your application each child will be considered on an individual basis. If a child is offered a place in a school, it does not guarantee a place at that school for any other child in the family.
- If you are not moving to a new house but wish your child to transfer school, please complete the in-year school transfer form. It is possible that your preferred school will contact your child’s current school on receipt of your application.
You can complete our online in-year school transfer form by following the link below or request a paper copy by telephoning the Admissions Team. You can name up to three preferred schools on your application.
Moving to a new address
If you are moving, please apply in advance of your move to reduce the risk of your child being out of school while your application is processed. You will need to provide details of your new address and when you intend to move. You may be asked for proof of your new address.
If your child is moving to Rotherham from an address within another area, you should first notify your child’s current school or the local authority where you currently live to make them aware of your house move and that you are applying for a school in the Rotherham area. You should then complete the Rotherham in-year school transfer form.
Families arriving from Ukraine
Additional school admissions information relating to Ukrainian children arriving under the Homes for Ukraines and Families visa schemes is published on GOV.UK.
The Admissions Team will record all in-year transfer applications and will forward your application via secure email to your preferred school for consideration.
- Applications received will be forwarded to preferred schools on the day of receipt where possible, or the following working (school) day.
- Applications received during a weekend or bank holiday or during school holidays will be forwarded to the preferred schools on the next working (school) day.
It is not possible to process any applications during school holidays and your application will be considered as soon as schools re-open. Schools are required to respond to in-year transfer requests within a maximum of 15 school days from receipt of the application therefore, although in-year applications may be forwarded to schools during school holiday periods, it is unlikely that you will be notified of the outcome of your application until schools re-open and the 15 school day response time commences.
In many cases a child will transfer to a new school only at the beginning of a new term, unless there is agreement by all concerned that the transfer should take place earlier. Until the transfer arrangements have been approved it is expected that your child will continue to attend their present school.
Fair Access Protocol
In response to the revised guidance contained within the Department for Education's School Admissions Code, the Rotherham Local Admissions Forum has agreed an In-Year Fair Access Protocol for the Rotherham area.
Call the Admissions Team: 01709 823777