What is the Standards and Ethics Committee
Role and functions
Our standards committee is primarily responsible for promoting and maintaining high standards of conduct by councillors, independent members and co-opted members. It is responsible for advising and arranging relevant training for members relating to the requirements of the code of conduct for councillors. It is also responsible for:
- the initial assessment, investigation and determination of allegations of misconduct
- dealing with any alleged breaches by a councillor of other relevant council codes and protocols
- overseeing the probity aspects of internal and external audit
- overseeing the code of conduct for employees
- overseeing the council's confidential reporting code
- granting exemptions on the political restriction of officer posts
- overseeing the council's complaints handling arrangements and performance
This broad remit gives the committee the chance to make a much more meaningful, proactive and positive contribution to the work of the council.
See who sits on the Standards and Ethics Committee. You can also find agendas, reports and minutes for committee meetings.